Tuesday, May 23, 2006

 

Whittlers Dream is a 1969 Grand Banks 42 Classic

My name is Darrin Jones and I am the Owner of m/v "Whittlers Dream" a Trawler Yacht built originally for Robert And Mildred Newton. Mr. Newton was the Founder and CEO/President of American Marine Ltd. which is "Grand Banks". She is Hull number 125 out of 353 very similar to her that are True Woodies, ( a plank on frame construction) . Grand Banks went on from Hull 354 thru 1589 in Fiberglass construction. She was named by Mr. Charlie Stokes, a somewhat famous artist in all things carved, inlaid, and a degreeless engineer extrodinaire. I have never met Charlie, he died on "Whittler's dream" before my wife and I purchased her from Charlie's girlfriend.
I have alot of photos to post, of before, when we fixed her up, then used her a while, then got back to rebuilding the whole darn superstructure.

Comments:
Hello,

I believe I met Charlie when I was navigating the Alligator River in North Carolina. A mechanical breakdown left me powerless and my rescue was the result of the effort of Mr. Stokes. I spent an afternoon with him and his wife after he towed me in behind the Whistler's Dream. A very gracious and interesting couple. There were a few works of art created by him that were marvelous. I especially liked his recreation of a western salon. Quite amazing!! It was in the main cabin of his boat. The lighting was excellent and really set the scene. Would love to know if that art is still around. I hope it was preserved by an appreciative owner. We parted ways the next day and surprisingly ran into each other in the Norfolk harbor. I was sorry to hear of his demise. He was a fine gentleman and a sympathetic sailor. He stopped to help me when others passed me by. RIP Charlie. I'm sure he's in a good place and pleasing the angels around him with his great talents!! Larry King
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?